Friday, September 10, 2010

"Run Marci.....Run"


You know the saying that goes something like this......"Its heck getting old?" Or....."Getting old is for the birds?" Well, I quite agree. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change what I know today, with an 18 year old. Now, if I could retain what I have learned so far in life, and have an 18 year old body again, I just might go for it!
Mitch and I have packed on a few pounds over the last five years, and we both knew it was time to do something about it. So what did we decided to do? Run a Marathon!! That's right a Marathon, in October!! Now, before you say that we are crazy, please know that we will not be running a full Marathon. Mitch is training to run a half Marathon and I am training to run the one that is only 3 miles long.
I have to tell you that I do not like to run, it is not something that I have ever liked to do. My idea of exercise is a brisk walk through the woods, listening to the birds and squirrels chatter away, or maybe a nice long bicycle ride down by the river, or a hike up a beautiful mountain, enjoying the wildflowers and the view.
I lost 7 pounds last year while in Greece and Italy (even though I ate like a pig!), since we walked everywhere we went, so I know that exercise is a good thing.
Anyway.....we decided that running will be the thing to do. We began to train in June, and the first thing we did was loose some weight. I am so proud of Mitch......he has lost 25 pounds already!! He only has a few more to go to reach his goal weight. I didn't have as much weight to loose as he did, but I am well on my way to reaching my goal. And, no I am not going to tell you how much I weigh, don't you know that it is not polite to ask a girl her weight (or her age!)?
Of course, Mitch can already run 2-and-a-half to 3 miles without stopping.
I love watching him run.....he has a smooth gait, with a little bounce to his step, he makes it look so easy. I on the other hand do not have a smooth gait, in fact I keep telling Mitch that I run like a lumbering ox! He on the other hand keeps telling me that I do not look like an ox. He tells me that I have a runners body.......long legs and a shorter torso, but I can't even run 1 mile without having to walk some of it, so I will just have to trust him on this! Did I tell you that I don't like to run?
Mitch keeps encouraging me to continue on, he really thinks that I can do this. He keeps reminding me of the time that I ran a Marathon with him, and I remind him that it was 20 years ago, and that I was 10 pounds lighter.........and then I remind him again, that I don't like to run!! And, he keeps telling me to, "Stop whining like a mule?" Maybe he should change that to, "Quit whining like a lumbering ox?"



3 comments:

  1. I think I inherited the i-hate-to-run genes from you. Thanks a lot.
    XO Oola

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I can't wait to hear how you guys do! Some day i'd like to do a marathon too but i don't like to run :):) Maybe you'll inspire me to try!
    Blessings,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate running, but i do it anyway since it's good for me. you should try the couch to 5K:

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    that is the only way i could run the 5k. i didn't have the stamina to "just do it". i had to "just work up to it". :)

    ReplyDelete