Saturday, March 1, 2014

365 DPC-Day 39

Day 39-Something Icy

Last week, the grand kids (except for Dawson, he wasn't feeling well) and I went for a walk in the snow.  We walked to a small nature reserve by my daughter's house; and no matter the weather or how many times we walk there, the kids love to walk there.  They always find something fun to do, something that captures their imaginations.  The reserve has walkways that meander around a small pond; with small bridges that go over little streams, that in the summer months run with water. The purpose of our walk on this day, was to break off chunks of the pond's ice and bring them home in a wagon that they had brought along just for that purpose.  When we arrived at the reserve, they talked me into letting them "skate" about on the ice of the pond.  And before you think that I was very foolish for letting them do so, I checked to make sure that it wasn't deep. The little bit of water in the pond had frozen solid and the kids had fun sliding on it's surface. They then tried to break off chunks of ice with sharp rocks that they had found.  As they were hammering away at the surface of the pond, I asked them why they wanted to bring the ice home. They informed me that they wanted to use it for keeping our dinner drinks cold.  I then had to use my best Ninnie-giving-out-her-wisdom voice, and give them a short lesson in pond germs and the tiny microscopic bugs the water contained. Therefore, we won't be using this ice to keep our sodas cold. We played for a while, and then we walked the pathway home; stopping to rest on a bench all covered in snow.  In case you were wondering; yes, we did drag home a little red wagon full of pond ice.



No comments:

Post a Comment