Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Best Laid Plans.......


I saw some sweet Primroses at the hardware store last week....Don't you just love Primroses? I especially like the blue and yellow ones. Whenever I see them I am reminded that Spring is not far away.
I had planned to buy some today and plant them in some pretty pots for my front porch.......but, you know what they say about the best laid plans of Mice and Men....by the way, does anybody know what that phrase means, or what is the story behind it? Anyway, the weather decided to not play along with my plans.....Baby, its cold outside! The temperature dipped down to the low 30's and the prediction for tonight in the teens! Last week it was 60 for heaven's sake! So I decided to wait awhile before doing any outside planting.
This afternoon, Mitch and I had to stop at the hardware store to pick up some nails for the Porch Project, and there they were, those pretty little Primroses, all lined up on a cart, braving the cold windy blast.......looking like Spring.

1 comment:

  1. fyi -
    From Robert Burns' poem To a Mouse, 1786. It tells of how he, while ploughing a field, upturned a mouse's nest. The resulting poem is an apology to the mouse:

    ...
    But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promised joy.
    ...

    The poem is of course the source for the title of John Steinbeck's 1937 novel - Of Mice and Men.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete